Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A Pastoral Connection - FINALLY


My route to McCall took me along the Oregon Slope to Weiser Idaho. As I drove I remembered that I had been to the cemetery that you drive by after turning toward Annex and Weiser. There was a family that I was with, at a graveside service, but for some reason I couldn't remember who had died and which family was involved. In fact this had bothered me for quite awhile because I had stopped at this cemetery before, wondering who had invited me to be with them there for prayer and scripture.

I'm usually pretty good at remembering, but for some reason the pieces were just not fitting together. So this time, I had already driven past the cemetery, but decided to turn around.

I was so glad I did. When I got to the cemetery, there was a very new-looking gravestone. It was for Bob Davis, and when I saw it, everything rushed back to me. Vera, Cheryl and the rest of the family, my apologies for "blanking out" about this very important place for you and your family. When I was there, I thanked God for the Davis and Reever families, and I thanked God for the memory of Bob Davis.

I've been hoping that my sabbatical would be a time for God to re-connect with me in areas where my faith, imagination and energy have perhaps slipped away. What I'm realizing is that God doesn't ask me to work harder, rather, I think God is asking me to be more attentive to the ways Christ is already at work in my life and in the lives of those around me. Listen. Watch. Feel. The Spirit of Christ is at work in this world. We are witnesses to this mighty and gentle God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was a powerful reflection actually... Very powerful indeed! I think we pastors work too hard. We think that if we do more, write more, be more that somehow God will do more. What we forget is that God was there doing what He's doing before we even got there. And He'll still be doing it after we leave. We are but vessels waiting to be filled...not bulldozers waiting to work and push. There's a difference there. Thanks for the awesome reflection!