Thursday, May 1, 2008

On to McCall


This is the first day of my three month sabbatical leave. For a long time, I've wondered how a time away like this would be. I know others who have had sabbaticals, both clergy and academic, and I've seen renewal in them. How it "looks" for each of those individuals is different.

I will miss: the relationships I have with the people of St. Paul, leading worship, preaching, and being involved in the community as the pastor of St. Paul. The Tuesday morning text study group, being involved with our kids.

I will enjoy: Time to myself to structure however I'm led, worshiping with other congregations, long drives and our family trip.

More to come! I'm heading to McCall Idaho this morning. My car is loaded up with books. I think I'll bring my guitar. After hugs and kisses from my daughters and wife, I'm ready to "unplug" and spend a few days in personal retreat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sabbatical... What is the meaning of that word??

Where does your energy come from?? Does it come from what you are doing NOW...on sabbatical?? Or does it come from someplace else??

And does the source of your energy show, somehow, where God is calling you? Does God call you someplace that is mentally and emotionally draining? Or does He call you to use your gifts as the Spirit directs and energizes you? Or does it do a mixture of both?? I keep thinking of our text for this Sunday... "To each is given gifts as the spirit enables them to be used for the common good." These gifts are gifts, and not burdans that wear us down, but something that should help energize us for the ministry God is calling us to do.

See what interesting questions your Sabbatical is sparking in others?!

God's blessings to you, my friend, as you ascend up the mountain and enjoy the downtime God is giving you!