Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A Crimp in My Schedule


Not sure if it was the clear, cool mountain air, the sudden change of schedule, or my cooking, but when I got home from McCall last week my leg and lower back were a MESS. I had come home on Saturday, struggled a bit on Sunday worshiping with a congregation in Boise, and by Monday I was in a pretty bad mood.

Decided finally to get myself to a chiropractor. Tuesday was the beginning of the next stage of my sabbatical, which meant quite literally being on my back, icing and moving about very gingerly. I saw the chiropractor Tuesday, and Wednesday, and Thursday, and Friday, and when he was through with me on that day, said "I'll see you Monday." I'll visit him three times this week as I slowly get myself back (no pun intended) among the living.

This kind of pain is different from low back discomfort. It's deeper. The aches are different, and if you're not part of the club, (if you haven't experienced this yourself) you'll just have to take my word for it, that it's not a fun time. At all.

So I spent all of last week reclining, holding a novel (The River Why) above my face, and I finished it in record time (I'm a slow reader) I'm sure partly because the words just fell off the pages and into my head by sheer force of gravity.

I'm ready for this to be behind me (again, no pun intended) so I can do other stuff with this time. Theologically speaking, perhaps Christ needed to start his time with me by giving me an adjustment. Fitting. Now I'm ready to step, even gingerly, toward the next thing. Hopefully the ground will be level.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I hope you're feeling better, James! Back pain is a pain...literally! I'll have to take your word for how bad it actually feels but...wow! I hope you're feeling better.
Reminds me, though, of a story I heard once. A man said to himself, "Self! You have all you ever need! Eat, drink, and be merry!" I think that man wound up dead in the morning...
God has this funny way of working into our expectation, turning them around, and teaching us to trust him a little more each day.
I hope you're feeling better, my friend.