Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Salute Jamtland


Grandpa came from Sweden. His childhood was spent in the territory called Jamtland, which is a place of curiosity. I would like to some day visit that area. From what I've heard and read, Jamtland was a particular part of Scandinavia which had been in dispute. For a time, both Norway and Sweden claimed Jamtland. The residents still hold an independence parade, rather in jest, but it still makes a point. What an interesting history. Grandpa died before he could tell me any stories about his childhood. Yet, I have a copy of his stories from early in life, which he dictated to his wife Lucille. The stories are in her handwriting. What a treasure.

By the way, I was in McCall Idaho a few weeks ago, and met a Swedish family. They had just moved to Idaho from Sweden and were looking for a new opportunity, and so decided Idaho was the place! I told them where my grandfather was born, and one of the family members said, "Oh they're crazy up there."

No comments: