Saturday, February 9, 2008

Raise Your Spirit Higher



"Wenyukela" (Raise Your Spirit Higher), Ladysmith Black Mambazo

I have this album, and this is the title track.  Most of these tracks are great, even the out-of-left-field "Fak' Ibhande" (Don't Drink and Drive): "Brothers and sisters, don't drink and drive... we still need you..."

Most of the tracks are Christian spirituality.  And perhaps it's with this commonality (I'm a Lutheran pastor) that I find joy and kinship with this S. African a cappella group.  I think they have mature relationship with the earth.  What I mean by "earth" is land, even soil.

Jim Wallis, of the commentary magazine and ministry Sojourners, has recently said what has come to be obvious to me (once he said it), that American Christians have more in common with Christians from around the world than we likely have with our next door neighbor.  In this world crisis of fearfulness and bloodshed, non-geographic communities are showing distinction.

Is this a faith-response to the fundamentalist cells we know exist in all corners of the world?  Are there "peace cells?"



No comments: