Thursday, February 21, 2008

Inner Journey


I think the liturgical season of Lent, which begins with Ash Wednesday, is one that bears spiritual fruit for individuals and communities. Except, that the fruit comes much later, and perhaps not so much in the midst of the season itself. Take this image for example. The artist is Karen Eckmeier, of "Quilted Lizard" (linked to the title of this entry).

The piece lacks vegatation, really any sign of organic growth. The colors signify to me a dry place. But there is motion, which the title affirms. There is a path, a journey, which is the metaphor I often use when describing this season to people in my congregation. Yesterday I decided to count the stones in the path. Low and behold, there are forty stones if I got it right. The Lenten journey is forty days.

No comments: