Saturday, July 19, 2008

Houston-bound




I've arrived in Houston for part three of a three part course on Bowen Theory, aka Family Systems Theory. This is one of the final events of my sabbatical. (That was sure strange to write, as this time has gone so fast.)

According to something I read, Houston is the third largest city in the U.S., behind New York and Los Angeles. Who would've thunk? This is a very busy city, and even those who live in the suburbs are zipping from one place to the next. The people who are hosting me here are so generous. They are part of University Baptist Church, and they have become new friends to me. I would love to have them up to my neck of the woods sometime.

I'm reminiscing a bit now about the sabbatical. There were a few events that changed the trajectory and made it difficult to focus on what I wanted to, but the hidden gift was a strong reconnection with my own family and times of quiet for renewal. I had an epiphany the other day about renewal. It was a primary goal of my sabbatical (Renewal, Research, Reflection). The epiphany is that I can't say to myself "tomorrow I will be renewed." That is just a new law. Rather, I found out that a space for renewal needed to be given, with the hope that renewal will come about by the Spirit of God in Christ, and according to a timeframe and growth rate that that I was not in control over. It has been God's time to deal with me, to nurture a seed that had been planted long ago, to build up faith and the language of faith in me.

I'm heading back toward home on Thursday, and then it will be time to get ready for going back into ministry with this congregation called St. Paul.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know James that was the wisest blog entry I've ever read from you. Such wisdom can only come from experience I think, when you're faced with your own shattered expectations wondering "What was God thinking?!"
It sounds like you gained a piece of that wisdom on sabbatical and in that way it was worth it.
As you know I've really struggled with you taking a sabbatical. After all, you graduated at the same time that I did. How did God give you a sabbatical and not me... But I've come to see true wisdom in your own conclusion. You can't say to yourself "tomorrow I will be renewed." It really does work according to the Spirit. Sometimes the Spirit can work renewal in a simple vacation. And sometimes it needs a whole sabbatical.
p.s. I hope you continue with this blog. I check it every day for some scraps of wisdom from my old friend.