Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Daddy?


We just observed Fathers' Day on Sunday. My family and I worshiped with friends at Payette Church of the Nazarene. I had the opportunity to sit with my girls during worship, up to the point where they went to children's church. Natalee was cold, so I put my arm around her. What a great experience that was, one that is rare for me as their father, since most Sundays I'm standing in front of the congregation. Once in a while at St. Paul, I notice my wife struggling a bit to keep the girls' interest.

Yesterday was the beginning of Vacation Bible School. As she was getting ready to leave, Emily said "Daddy, when are you going to come to Sunday School again?" At that moment a new perspective hit me over the head.

Changing my pattern (work, or home, vacation, etc) influences the relationships we have with individuals around us. The benefit is the opportunity to have moments like this, where the value of these relationships is recognized and appreciated. The "downside" would be that there is no way to predict how these changes would affect those individuals. The human being is a thing of change, if it's living. After even a short period of time, change comes, not necessarily with plan or purpose. This change in my pattern has been a little much for little Emily. She wants to get back to the regular pattern.

Last week, Emily and I went on a date. We went to Nampa and visited the Pet store, saw a movie (Horton Hears a Who), and went to Carl's Jr. because they have a great play area. We returned home after a great day of, according to Emily, "Two Time."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had an eye-opening Father's Day!! You never realize how different it is being on the "other" side of the pulpit with your family until you are.
Seems that your internship is really doing you some good there, James. Such deep thoughts and insights into things that you use to take for granted. Keep up the excellent posts!

Anonymous said...

Cool....My uncle & aunt (and a few other family members) go to that church... Ralph & Loraine Barker.