Monday, February 11, 2013

Word for Today

From Psalm 91:

1You who dwell in the shelter of | the Most High,
who abide in the shadow of | the Almighty—
2you will say to the LORD, "My refuge | and my stronghold,
my God in whom I | put my trust."


This is a monastery called Metéora in Greece. It's an Orthodox monastery that was begun in the 11th century, shortly before the invention of cargo helicopters. Someday it would be a blast to visit this place. I would hope for a smog-free day.

Take another quick look at the Bible verse above. Do you think the psalmist was thinking of a place like this? To be suspended above the rest of the world and her problems seems nice. Maybe it would actually work to disengage like that.. for a time. Then thoughts and worries would span the crevasses that we created, and we would find ourselves right back in the midst of the world that still wants and needs us.

Where do we go to find God? Do we go to a high elevation? How about an exotic (read 'warm') place?

I take my cue this morning from the little phrase "shadow of the Almighty." Wherever there is a shadow, there is the Almighty watching over. Can you find a shadow near you? If so, then claim right now the protection of the Almighty.

The season of Lent is about drawing shapes around shadows, studying them, feeling their chill. But remember this, shadows can only exist with the Son nearby.






Pastor James Aalgaard
St. Paul Lutheran Church


/W/orshipping/I/nviting/S/tudying/E/ncouraging/G/iving/P/raying/S/erving

No comments: