Saturday, January 26, 2013

Word for Today

From First Corinthians 12:
Indeed, the body does not consist of one member but of many.  15If the foot would say, "Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body," that would not make it any less a part of the body.  

Dear fellow amputees, here is Kiarra. She's from Portland Oregon. She had a dream of dancing at the Julliard School.  There is a video about her here. It's a very inspirational little report! I think the picture and the video tell the story better than I, but one thing I will mention is this:

Kiarra says that when she choreographs a dance, she imagines herself with fingers and toes, doing intricate movements. Those lost digits are actually part of her dance, regardless of the fact that she possesses them. She imagines herself whole.

In the above passage of scripture, St. Paul is writing to Christians in Corinth. They had done what countless communities of faith do, which is honor one member of the body over the other. Some gifts are more apparent than others. Some people look for more attention than others. Some members hurt more than others. Some have more tragic lives. Some have better luck. It's easy to say to one, "I don't need you. We don't need you." Over time, the members of the body receiving the least honor disappear. The result? An amputee community.

When I think of the faith community, even my own self, I wonder what I've amputated. Maybe it was actual people. Gifts of the Spirit. Expectations.

I think I will take my cue from Kiarra, and imagine myself whole. I will be a dancing amputee, knowing that the promise of the resurrection, of a world made whole through Christ, grows members back to the body.





Pastor James Aalgaard
St. Paul Lutheran Church
541.889.9349

/W/orshipping/I/nviting/S/tudying/E/ncouraging/G/iving/P/raying/S/erving

No comments: