Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Word for Today


Dear fellow sheep,

This Sunday is "Good Shepherd Sunday." Psalm 23 (The LORD is my shepherd..), John 10, (I am the good shepherd..), First John 3 (we know love by this, that he laid down his life for us..)

Our resurrected Lord is our good shepherd. And so we are sheep.

What are some characteristics of that relationship? I'll do a little brainstorming here:

*The shepherd depends on the health and well being of the sheep. (It is a stretch for me to think that Jesus depends on me.. I depend on him, this is true. Can I also say that he depends on me? Is there something reciprocal going on?)

*The shepherd brings the sheep into the wild. (I guess we can draw our own conclusions here)

*The shepherd knows where the best grazing can be found. (We will find the work of God happening in the most unlikely of places)

*A sheep is shorn more than once. (Time and time again we have the joy of giving. Sometimes it cuts a little close and we bleed. Another coat will grow regardless, especially if we follow the shepherd to choice pastures, in the wild. If we resist being shorn, our coat will become matted, tangled and course)

*A group of sheep can be called a herd, flock or mob. ("Herd" has a certain heaviness, "flock" a certain lightness, "mob" a certain tunnel-visioned frenzy. Christians can be described this way too.)

*Even the largest herd of sheep will cluster, and because of the clusters one shepherd can lead very many. (small groupings of Christians, congregations, etc. The distinction between the clusters is not so much how they think or whom they include or exclude. The distinction is where on the pastureland they happen to be clustered. In the shade? In full sun? On the edges?)

*Sheep respond to the voice of the shepherd. His voice brings about calm. (Lazarus come out! This is my body. This is my blood. Father, into your hands I commit my spirit. Peace. Feed my sheep. Do not be afraid, I am the First and the Last)

*The shepherd puts his life on the line. (with a loud cry he breathed his last)

*Your observation ______________

*Your observation ______________

*Your observation ______________


Blessings to you!



"Sheep become considerably stressed when separated from others" (From the Encyclopedia of Life, www.eol.org)







Pastor James Aalgaard
St. Paul Lutheran Church
Giggles and Grace Early Learning Center, www.gigglegrace.org


No comments: