Wednesday, August 25, 2010

14-Year Journal


I have much to write to you, but I would rather not write with pen and ink; instead I hope to see you soon, and we will talk together face to face. (From Third John)

There’s a hardbound book that I’ve taken up again, nearly every morning for the past several weeks. It’s my journal. I jot down my thoughts, my memories of the previous day, my predictions and musings about what the near future might hold. I even complain to it in writing. Some prayers are recorded there. Some poems too. I’ve noticed “to-do” lists. I wonder how well I did in doing those to-do’s!

There are also huge gaps in time. In a few cases I had not written in my journal for more than a year. Do you think that I would write about the birth of my daughters? When I turn back to that time, I realize that I wrote in the days leading up, but not in the days following. I suppose I was busy with something else, like changing diapers or catching up with sleep.

This same journal has been written-in at some point over the span of 14 years. I started writing just as Dawn and I were married. It is truly amazing to look back to those earlier years, within the very same journal. Someday I will run out of pages and have to pick up with a new book. It will be a sad transition.

Why is journaling important to me? Well, aside from the benefit of being able to jog my memory as time passes, the real benefit is that I have a chance to clear my head, in a way to “commune” with my journal. In a way it is also a narrative of my faith.

When John was writing to a man named Gaius, he closed the very short letter with the words you see above. Look at these words closely. “I would rather not write with pen and ink; instead I hope to see you soon, and we will talk together face to face.” I believe that my journaling, which is a personal thing, has a way of drawing closer to myself those whom I love - family and friends, members of the congregation I serve. John wished to see Gaius, so that his letter could continue in face-to-face communication. What an interesting thought! Writing with speech rather than pen and ink.

My sister Mary has started a blog about journaling. I suppose this kind of thing runs in the family. If you’re interested in seeing it, and you have Internet access, check out

www.maryaalgaard.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Mary Aalgaard said...

James, thanks so much for telling your readers about my blog! Yes. It is a journaler's blog. I hope to inspire, connect, and provide a creative outlet for myself and others. Keep on writing. That journal will fill, and then another, and another, until you have written much of your life. I like how you call it conversations with yourself. Write on!